John Briggs Called to the Bar 1973
John specialises in domestic and cross-border insolvency, commercial and chancery litigation, professional negligence and disciplinary proceedings (involving insolvency practitioners), partnerships, financial services and proceeds of crime.
Over the years John has appeared in many high profile cases particularly in the field of personal insolvency, insolvent partnerships and deceased insolvents, including Kevin Maxwell, Asil Nadir, Jonathan Aitken, Kerry Katona, Sean Quinn, Seifert Sedley (solicitors), Nicholas Phillips (the Queen’s cousin – deceased), Boris Berezovsky (Russian oligarch – deceased) and Boris Becker.
John is described in Chambers & Partners 2016 as “concise, commercial and charming“. He “has the ability to take a highly complex case and cut to the core issues with ease.”
For many years John has been the Joint Senior Author of the leading insolvency textbook Muir Hunter on Personal Insolvency. He is a Deputy Insolvency and Companies Court Judge of the High Court in London. Before practising as a barrister, John was a jurist-linguist in French and Italian at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
Over 40 reported cases in litigation related to corporate and personal insolvency in the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords.
Recent cases include:
- Oraki and Oraki v Bramston and Defty  EWCA Civ 403, professional negligence claim against trustees in bankruptcy
- Fielding v Hunt  EWHC 247 (Ch);  EWHC 406 (Ch) Liquidators powers; costs
- Rose v McGuire  EWCA Civ 429, bankrupt’s permission to sue trustee in bankruptcy
- Bramston v Haut  EWCA Civ 1637, discharge from bankruptcy/ IVAs
- Williams v Taylor  EWCA Civ 1443, transaction defrauding creditors
- Re Eichler  BPIR 1293, COMI under the EC Insolvency Regime
- Re Delberry  EWHC 925 (Ch), receivers’ fees/misfeasance/production of documents
- Irish Bank Resolution Corporation v Quinn  NI Ch 1, cross-border insolvency
- Handelsmann BV v Hill  BPIR, Counsel for trustee in bankruptcy in EC Insolvency Regulation case before the Dutch courts
- FG Hemisphere Associates v Democratic Republic of Congo  JRC 484, vulture fund litigation against DRC English Counsel acting for third party debtor
Other cases include advising on company liquidations, receiverships and bankruptcies in Cyprus including the recent receivership and liquidation of the supermarket chain GRV North Fruit Ltd and advising on Bahamian bankruptcy law and advising and acting for the Viscount of Jersey in cross-border insolvency proceedings.
|Chambers & Partners||“Excellent on personal insolvency issues”
“He is a go-to for difficult problems that need solving in a commercial way”
“Pre-eminent in terms of personal insolvency and is quite excellent in what he does”
|2014||Membership and Authorisations Committee of the IPA|
|2011||Called to the Northern Ireland Bar|
|1991||Appointed Deputy Registrar in Bankruptcy and Companies|
|1973-1975||Jurist Linguist at the European Court of Justice (Luxembourg)|
|1973||Called to the Bar of England and Wales|
Commercial Bar Association
British Italian Law Association
Joint Senior Author of Muir Hunter on Personal Insolvency (Thomson Sweet and Maxwell, 1987 to date)
Contributor to Cross-Border Insolvency Fourth Edition (Sheldon, Bloomsbury, 2015)
Contributor to Rayden & Jackson on Relationship breakdown finances and Children (Lexis Nexis, 2016)
Consultant Editor to Bankruptcy and Personal Insolvency Reports (Jordans, 1996 to date)
Joint Author Asset Protection Trusts (Keyhaven, 1997)
Junior Author of Williams & Muir Hunter on Bankruptcy (Stevens, 1984 to 1987)
Contributor to Insolvency Intelligence. Articles include:
“Payment Protection Insurance Claims and Insolvency” Insolvency Intelligence 2013, Vol 26, No 5 (July), page 65. Click here to view this article.
“The Recent Decision of Raithatha v Williamson: Creditors’ Right to an IPO/IPA over more than the Debtor’s pension in payment” Insolvency Intelligence 2012, Vol 25 No 5 (June), page 65. Click here to view this article.
|1972||Examens du Doctorat d’Université, Nancy, France|
|1971||King’s College London University, LLB Hons|
Spanish (working knowledge)
Travel, walking (Chiltern Society walk leader and contributor to Society’s “50 Best Walks”), Languages (Highgate Literary and Scientific Institute) and politics (Fabian Society).