Adam Goodison’s specialisations include restructuring, insolvency, finance/business litigation, contract law, company law and trusts litigation.
He is regularly instructed on high profile domestic and international restructurings involving litigation in London or overseas.
Clients praise his encyclopaedic knowledge of the law mixed with a pragmatic and commercial approach. “He is a class act in every sense.” “He is very hard-working, very supportive of solicitors and someone who brings a lot to the table.”
Notable cases include Premier Oil (scheme of arrangement), Paragon (administration), Doncasters (scheme of arrangement), Swissport (scheme of arrangement), Stronghold (insurance company run-off administration and scheme of arrangement), Provident Financial (consumer redress scheme of arrangement), British Steel (appointment of special managers over UK steel making business), Syncreon Group (restructuring of international logistics services business), Toisa Ltd (CBIR recognition application), New Look (CVA proposal and issues arising), Toys R Us (CVA proposal and issues arising), Far East Capital (restructuring of port of Vladivostok), Carillion plc (issues arising in UK collapse), Russian Standard (Russian retail bank restructuring), Petroplus (oil refinery group restructuring), Paragon Offshore (oil drilling group administration and restructuring), Re Apcoa Parking GmbH (car parking group restructuring), Re Primacom, Re Seat Pagine (Italian directory restructuring), Re Cortefiel, Re Orizonia, Re Icopal, Re Yell, Saad Holdings, Singularis, Coventry FC, Portsmouth FC, Plymouth Argyle FC, Battersea Power Station, Re Nortel, MF Global, Re Globespan and Jet Star v Sandhu.
Recent cases include:
- Re Provident Financial plc, consumer redress scheme of arrangement (Sir Alastair Norris and Sir Anthony Mann).
- Re Stronghold Insurance Co Ltd, insurance company run-off, administration, and scheme of arrangement (Sir Alastair Norris and Mr Justice Michael Green).
- Re Premier Oil, Edinburgh Outer House, fully contested scheme of arrangement, with successful commercial result for client.
- Re Swissport Fuelling, contested scheme of arrangement before Mr Justice Trower.
- Re British Steel, appointment of special managers in respect of UK steel making business and ongoing issues arising.
- Syncreon Group, (Falk J 31 July 2019 judgment), restructuring of international logistics services group / scheme of arrangement.
- Re Toisa Ltd, (ICC Judge Burton 29 March 2019 judgment), CBIR recognition of Ch 11 USA proceedings.
- New Look Retailers Ltd, successful company voluntary arrangement proposal and issues arising.
- Re Toys R Us, successful company voluntary arrangement and issues arising.
- Re Carillion plc, UK collapse and insolvency.
- Re Far East Capital, (Snowden J 3 November 2017 judgment), restructuring / scheme of arrangement re Port of Vladivostok.
- Re Seven Energy, restructuring of oil energy group with main business assets in Nigeria.
- Paragon Offshore, UK administration in support of Ch 11 proceedings in Delaware.
- Re Petroplus, set off issues and subordination issues arising in English insolvencies.
- Re Icopal A/S,  EWHC 3469 (Ch), restructuring debt of €669,220,000 / scheme of arrangement.
- Re General Healthcare Group, restructuring debt of £1,650,000,000 / prospective scheme of arrangement (July / August 2013).
- Re Globespan Airways  EWCA Civ 1159;  1 WLR 1122, administration / termination / Companies House registration.
- Re Coventry City FC, administration / Proper Expenses.
- Re Cortefiel and Re MEP II SARL  EWHC 4192 (Ch), restructuring debt of €1,385,000,000 / scheme of arrangement.
- Re Seat Pagine Gialle SPA & Re Lighthouse International Company  EWHC 3686 (Ch), restructuring debt of €2,770m / scheme of arrangement / consent fees / COMI shift / administration / cross border merger.
- Sandhu (Isher Fashions UK) v Jet Star Retail  EWCA Civ 459, proper construction of terms and conditions; administration / retention of title / wrongful Interference.
- Re Primacom  EWHC 3746 (Ch).
- REO Powerstation, letter of request / administration of Battersea Power Station.
- Re Diwan; Re Orion Holdings Overseas, Dubai International Financial Centre; fraud litigation; disclosure against auditor.
- Re Wind Hellas, COMI shift/administration; restructuring.
- Singularis v Daiwa  EWHC 257 (Ch), banker’s duty re payment requests, negligence, dishonest assistance issues.
- Espirito Santo, issues arising in restructuring of bank.
- Russian Standard, restructuring of Russian deposit bank.
- Governor and Company of Bank of Scotland v Neath Port Talbot Borough Council  EWHC 2276 (Ch), PFI contracts/step in rights/ facility agreement /fixtures.
- Re Bank Mandiri, enforcement of facility agreement.
- Re Ethel Austin,proper construction of facility agreements; recovery of bank lending.
- Re Ideal Standard, proper construction of facility agreement/ inter-creditor agreement.
- Contributor to Company Directors, Duties Liabilities and Remedies (Mortimore QC).
- Various confidential cases advising on Companies Act 2006 issues, including director duty issues, breach of duty issues, proper administration of English companies, members rights, unfair prejudice issues, advice re articles of association rights, and rights arising in either restructuring context or ongoing trading context or insolvency context, and in private equity context.
- Various international shipping restructurings.
- Advice on numerous cases litigated in Jersey, in the Cayman Islands, in the BVI and in Dubai, and on restructurings with seats or establishments locally.
- Re AY Bank, acting for the Republic of Slovenia in international litigation and English litigation concerning an international ASI agreement to resolve disputes arising from the disintegration of the State of Yugoslavia.
- Various advice on trust issues arising in security structures / proper administration of trusts / duties of trustees in England and offshore (confidential work).
- Previous cases before the English Court include Re Pinnacle Entertainment, (validity of fixed trust; administration of trust); and Re OT Computers, letter of request/ administration; commercial fixed trusts/ validity of trusts/ administration of trusts; and
- Re Safe Solutions, trust claim in the Chancery Division to recover defrauded monies by litigation in England, Switzerland, Liechstenstein and Spain
- Numerous expert opinions provided for foreign proceedings on issues of English law, including having acted with the late Gabriel Moss QC in various proceedings abroad, and acting alone as a sole expert as to English law.
|Chambers & Partners||Recommended as a Leading Barrister, Restructuring / Insolvency|
|Legal 500||Recommended as a Leading Barrister, Restructuring / Insolvency|
|2004-2009||Elected member of the Bar Council|
|1995-1998||Elected member of the Bar Council|
|1990||Called to the Bar of England and Wales|
Admitted as an Advocate in the DIFC and the Dubai World Tribunal (2010 to 2015)
- Chancery Bar Association
- Insolvency Lawyers Association
- Commercial Bar Association
- Joint Author of Corporate Administrations and Rescue Procedures (William Trower QC, Adam Goodison, Matthew Abraham and Andrew Shaw). Expected next edition in 2022.
- Contributor to The Law of Administrators and Receivers of Companies (Lightman and Moss, Sweet and Maxwell)
- Contributor to Rowlatt on Principal and Surety (Marks and Moss, Sweet and Maxwell)
- Contributor to Company Directors (Mortimore QC). Expected next edition in 2022.
+44 (0)20 7696 9900 Email Adam
“He exudes a calmness and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law mixed with a pragmatic and commercial approach.”