Christopher Brougham QC QC 1988, Called to the Bar 1969
Christopher specialises in corporate and personal insolvency and has considerable past experience of other areas of the law, such as crime, divorce, landlord and tenant, which he uses to advantage in his insolvency practice.
Christopher was instructed on behalf of the trustees in bankruptcy of George Best, Asil Nadir and Jack Dunnett (former MP and President of the Football League), and on behalf of Swiss Bank at the onset of the collapse of the Maxwell empire.
Christopher has on a number of occasions represented the Official Receiver, and advised the Government in connection with possible disqualification proceedings arising out of the Blue Arrow report.
He was the principal author of the Insolvency Lawyers Association’s response to the Government consultation document “A Fresh Start”
- Narandas – Girdhar v Bradstock  EWCA Civ 88, appeal against the refusal of a declaration that the second claimant’s irregularly approved IVA was a nullity dismissed; a purposive construction given to IA 1986, Pt VIII
- Arif v Anwar  EWHC 624 (Fam), hearing in ancillary relief proceedings between a wife and bankrupt husband in the Family Division held before a Chancery judge
- Raithatha v Williamson  EWHC 909 (Ch), interrelationship of income payments order and bankrupt’s entitlement to draw down pension
- Weir v Secretary of State for Transport  EWHC 2192 (Ch), action by Railtrack shareholders against the Government
- Treharne and Sands v Forrester EWHC 2784 (Ch), restrictions on dispositions of property, MCA 1973, s 24, property adjustment orders
- Krasner v Dennison Ch 76 (CA), bankruptcy, bankrupt’s estate, rights under a personal pension plan
- Hellyer v Hellyer BPIR 85 (CA), matrimonial lump sum order against bankrupt
- In re ELS Ch 11, receivership distress for rates
- Re Newman Shopfitters (Cleveland)  BCLC 407, administration/secured creditor
- Smith v Braintree District Council 2 AC 215 HL, bankruptcy committal for non-payment of rates
- In re Tucker (RC)  Ch 148 (CA), bankruptcy jurisdiction over proposed examinee abroad
- Royal Trust Bank v Buchler BCLC 130, administration/secured creditor
Between January 2005 and February 2008, instructed on behalf of Citibank as standing expert on all aspects of Cayman law in a claim for $400m plus punitive damages litigated in New York. Instructed on behalf of Republic Insurance Co, a multi-billion dollar creditor in the winding-up of Mentor Insurance in Bermuda.
- Hurst v BDO Stoy Hayward  EWHC 791 (Ch), professional negligence claim against accountants in an insolvency context
|2007||Elected Bencher of the Inner Temple|
|1990 – 1991||Inspector, appointed under Companies Act 1985 s 432(5), to investigate the affairs of BOM Holdings PLC|
|1988||Appointed Queen’s Counsel|
|1984||Deputy Bankruptcy Registrar|
|1969||Called to the Bar of England and Wales|
Chancery Bar Association
Insolvency Lawyers Association
Family Law Bar Association
Joint Senior Author of Muir Hunter on Personal Insolvency (Sweet and Maxwell)
Author of Personal Insolvency chapter in Financial Provision in Family Matters (Sweet and Maxwell)
Editor of Bankruptcy Provisions chapter in Jackson’s Matrimonial Finance and Taxation (Butterworth’s LexisNexis)
Legal updates to the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (2014 and 2013)
Professional Negligence Lawyers’ Association: Duties of office-holders (2011)
Worcester College, Oxford, BA Jurisprudence