Edoardo Lupi Called to the Bar 2015
Edoardo joined South Square as a tenant in 2016.
During pupillage at South Square, Edoardo was exposed to all of chambers’ core areas of practice, including cross-border and domestic insolvency, banking, company law, commercial litigation and offshore. Notable cases he assisted on as a pupil include the Lehman Brothers Waterfall II Application, Heis v MF Global UK Services Limited in the Court of Appeal, and Primeo Fund v HSBC.
Since being taken on as a tenant, Edoardo has regularly appeared as sole counsel in the High Court and in the County Court on a variety of matters, including on injunctions and applications for summary judgment. He is currently being led on a public law claim against a foreign government and central bank. In 2018, Edoardo was seconded to Mourant Ozannes in the Cayman Islands for four months.
Prior to joining chambers, Edoardo gained valuable experience working on the reorganisation of a major bank at McKinsey in Milan, in the Economic Crimes and Governance Division at the Attorney General’s Chambers in Singapore, and at a major law firm in the City. He also marshalled for Mr Justice Dingemans in the High Court.
Edoardo graduated from Oxford University with a Congratulatory First Class degree in Classics, obtaining the second highest mark in his year.
- Re A & M Access Ltd  EWHC 2756 (Ch) – acted as sole counsel for two former officeholders in relation to a section 236 application. The liquidator of 37 previously wound-up companies, which had been subsequently restored to the register, sought a substantive order against the respondents at a preliminary hearing.
- Re Acal Underwriting Limited  EWHC 489 (Ch) – instructed by the joint provisional liquidators with Richard Fisher in relation to an application to return an insurance company in a long-running provisional liquidation to the control of its directors and shareholder.
- Re a Company – an application to restrain presentation of a winding up petition raising issues involving implied contracts and contractual set-off. In his judgment, Newey J commented on Edoardo’s “well-constructed submissions”.
- Joanna Lemos v Joint Trustees in Bankruptcy of Christos Lemos – an application for permission to commence a claim under s. 423 IA 1986, stemming from the Court of Appeal’s judgment in Lemos v Lemos  EWCA Civ 1181.
- Re Independent Derivative Traders Limited (In Administration) – a successful application for the temporary appointment of concurrent administrators, the winding up of the company, the concurrent administrators’ discharge and their appointment as joint liquidators
- Lehman Brothers Waterfall II Application – distribution of the circa £7 billion surplus in LBIE’s estate (assisting Antony Zacaroli QC, David Allison QC and Adam Al-Attar)
- LBI hf v UBS – cross-affiliate set-off under the ISDA Master Agreement (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC and Gabriel Moss QC)
- Privatbank  EWHC 3186 (Ch) – scheme of arrangement involving one of Ukraine’s largest banks (assisting Tom Smith QC)
- Lewis (Liquidator of Matrixphotos.com ltd) v Bridger – appeal against the dismissal of a section 236 IA86 application against a former company director (assisting Richard Fisher)
- Bank Sarasin Alpen (ME) – winding up petition before the DIFC Courts (assisting David Allison QC)
- Drafted advice on the validity of charges over an insolvent group’s assets, and the application of BVI avoidance provisions (assisting Richard Fisher).
- Drafted advice on the set-off of contingent debts in the context of schemes of arrangement (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC)
- Drafted advice on the winding up of overseas partnerships (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC)
- GSO Credit v Barclays Bank Plc  EWHC 146 (Comm) – construction of LMA standard terms in relation to sale of commitment under surety bonds facility (assisting Tom Smith QC)
- Hayfin Opal Luxco 3 S.A.R.L v Windermere VII CMBS plc – rights of a class of noteholders in Credit Suisse originated commercial mortgage backed securitisation (assisting Stephen Robins and Jeremy Goldring QC)
- Various advices on the rights of noteholders and the legal characterisation of ownership of dematerialised securities.
- Heis v MF Global UK Services Limited  EWCA Civ 569 – existence of an implied contract between MF Global UK and the group services company, obliging former to fund pensions liabilities of latter (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC and Martin Pascoe QC)
- Edgeworth Capital Luxembourg SARL v Maud  EWHC 3464 (Comm) – discharge of a €40 million guarantee as a matter of Spanish insolvency law (assisting William Willson and Mark Philips QC)
- Advising on and settling statements of case in various claims involving alleged breaches of directors’ duties.
- Advised on complex pre-emption rights in articles of association.
- Re Connor Williams Ltd – payment of interim dividends under company’s articles (assisting Stephen Robins)
- Drafted particulars of claim in proceedings against former directors for repayment of loans and breaches of duty (assisting Adam Al-Attar)
- Drafted advice on a ‘change of control’ provision in a partnership agreement (assisting Robin Dicker QC)
- Drafted a Defence to an unfair prejudice petition (assisting William Willson)
- Drafted advice on construction of a director’s indemnity under foreign law (assisting Tom Smith QC)
- Avonwick Holdings v Shlosberg – unlawful means conspiracy and transactions in contravention of ss. 423 and 238 IA 1986 (assisting Tom Smith QC and Henry Phillips)
- Pine River Master Fund v Castex Technologies – pending share price manipulation claim (assisting Georgina Peters)
- Primeo Fund v HSBC – $1 billion claim by a Madoff feeder fund for breach of duty against its custodian (assisting Tom Smith QC and Richard Fisher)
- Saad Investments Company Ltd – defence of a multi-billion dollar fraud claim (produced various research notes for Michael Crystal QC, Mark Phillips QC and Marcus Haywood)
- Vigia v Mosvee – claim against a Guernsey trustee and fund administrator, testing the scope of a trustee’s indemnity and immunity from liability under the Guernsey Trust Law (assisting Adam Al-Attar)
- Drafted an opinion and a Defence in respect of a claim for improper drawings on Funds at Lloyd’s (assisting Richard Fisher)
Insolvency Lawyers’ Association
Chancery Bar Association
‘Powers of Investigation in a Cross-Border Context’ with William Trower QC, South Square Digest
‘Contingent Assets and Balance Sheet Insolvency: Evans v Jones’, International Corporate Rescue
|2014-2015||City University, Bar Professional Training Course|
|2013-2014||City University, Graduate Diploma in Law|
|2009-2013||Corpus Christi College, Oxford University, BA (Hons) Classics, Congratulatory, First Class (second in year);Honour Moderations, First Class|
|1998-2009||King’s College School, Wimbledon (Major Scholarship, Classics Scholarship)|
|2015||Prize for grade of ‘Outstanding’ on the BPTC (Inner Temple)|
|2014||Runner-Up, 7 KBW Contract Law Prize (City University)|
|2014||Allan Levy Award (Inner Temple)|
|2014||Exhibition Award for the GDL and BTPC (Inner Temple)|
|2013||De Paravicini Prize (Oxford University)|
|2013||Haigh Prize (Corpus Christi College, Oxford)|
|2013||CE Stevens Scholarship (Oxford University)|
|2011||Hugh Oldham Scholarship (Corpus Christi College, Oxford)|
Italian (Bilingual), French (Intermediate)
Cooking, football, reading and walking